A gluten-free, low glycemic dessert:
Golden Chalice Carrot Cake
with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 and ½ cup Almond Meal Flour (Health Food Store carries; check labels, or you can grind Almonds finely in blender or food processor measure after ground) or if nut-sensitive, use any gluten-free flour such as flour listed below then cover 5 minutes after baking so it stays moist.
- ½ cup organic Quinoa or Amaranth Flour or combination of these
- 2 tsp. aluminum-free Baking Soda (health store)
- 2 tsp. organic Cinnamon
- Organic Spices ¼ tsp. each organic Allspice and Cloves
- 1 cup virgin Coconut Oil or Unsalted Ghee, (or 1/2 and 1/2 of each)
- ½ tsp. Sweet Leaf Stevia or raw, powdered Stevia Leaf
- 1 cup Raisin Sauce (see bottom of page for instructions)
- 1 tsp. organic Vanilla Extract or flavor (Celiacs may not tolerate extract)
- 3 cups grated Carrots (try to get sweet carrots if not adding sweetener)
- 4 Eggs
- ½ cup chopped organic Walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 9x9x2'' pan.
- Mix together: Almond Meal or Flours, Baking Soda, Cinnamon, Salt
- Blend in Oil or Unsalted Ghee, Stevia, Raisin Sauce
1 cup Coconut Oil or Unsalted Ghee, (or 1/2 and 1/2 of each) ½ tsp. Sweet Leaf Stevia or raw, powdered Stevia Leaf
1 cup Raisin Sauce (see recipe to follow)
1 tsp. organic Vanilla Extract or flavor (Celiacs may not tolerate extract)
- Add grated Carrots, then Eggs, one at a time, beating well after each time.
- Optional - Blend in Walnuts
- Bake 30-40 minutes. or till done. Cool and cover after five to ten minutes to maintain moisture if using flours other than nut meal. You can frost with Cream Cheese frosting (recipe to follow) or Cashew Cream (p. 37) for Vegans and non-dairy requirements. Personally, I like it just as well unfrosted…you get all the spiciness, Yum!
- Serve warm if not frosted, or at room temperature with Cream Cheese frosting. Refrigerate if not serving until next day, or leftover, but return to room temperature to serve.
Success Secret: When you use both fruit and Stevia in recipes, such as Raisin Sauce and Stevia combined for sweetening, it tastes more like sugar.
Raisin Sauce: You can keep this in fridge for weeks. Place 1 cup Raisins in jar with 1 and 1/2 cups Water (or less, for more concentrated sweet). Soak Raisins overnight or longer in refrigerator. If in a hurry, boil Raisins in Water until soft. Blend in blender to make paste.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz. softened organic Cream Cheese
- I tsp. organic Vanilla Extract or flavor (Celiacs may not tolerate extract)
- 1 Tblsp. organic pure Maple Syrup or ? cup Raisin Sauce recipe below Carrot Cake recipe)
- ½ tsp. Sweet Leaf Stevia
- Mix together all ingredients until smooth. Spread immediately on cooled cake or refrigerate, then before frosting cake, let warm up to room temperature.
- Optional: Add a little purified Water to stretch and make frosting softer, easier to blend and frost cake with.