Ask the Diabetes Educator Archive


I have a friend who uses R and N insulin. She cannot afford proper insulin nor treatment. She doesn't qualify for Medicaid yet and her health is deteriorating. Is there any help you can think of to suggest? She is self employed by child care. She cannot afford health care insurance. Please any information you can give would be helpful.

Have you looked to see if there are clinics in your area for low income people? You may have to be aggressive in this venture. Cutting through red tape is always more than a challenge. Also, look to see if there are any diabetes groups or organizations in your general area that may be able to refer you. If her health is failing, she may have to cut back her business to the point where she can qualify for Medicaid if no other resources can be found. In fairness to her children, she would not want to experience a severe sugar reaction without another adult around to help.

Get Our Newsletter