Ask the Diabetes Educator Archive


My question is if a child does not have diabetes can they have random blood checks such as 203, 353, 169, and 186?

A reading of 353 is definitely high. You should take these readings back to the pediatrician and, if need be, get a referral for an endocrinologist. If there is a real question, an Oral Glucose Tolerance Test can be done to measure the blood sugar response for a two hour period. A person who is truly hypoglycemic, will have fluctuating blood sugars and will often develop diabetes if not controlled. Eating many small meals with the right food choices is the right intervention.

Get Our Newsletter